There are two major types of joint problems. The first type is associated with poorly nourished joints or low bone density and overall weakness in the joints. This kind of problem starts with some discomfort, a cracking sound, and if not taken care of, results in eventual immobilization of the joints. Because the bone is not getting the nourishment it needs, it starts to degenerate. The second kind is associated with a toxic overload in the joints, and is the result of too many toxins in the body. As the sticky, toxic waste-product of incomplete digestion accumulates in the joint, it first creates stiffness and heaviness. If it stays there for a long time, the joint can become swollen and painful. Damp, cold weather can aggravate this type of joint problem.
In general there are two types of MSD’s based on pathogenesis as:
- Caused due to diminished tissues due to nutritional deficiencies.
- Caused due to obstruction in normal nourishing channels by toxins.
Apart from the above classification others are:
- External injury
- Internal blockages or destruction of joints by doshas
Common types of MSD’s are:
- Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Gouty Arthritis
- Neck Stiffness
- Cervical Spondylosis
- Lumbar Spondylosis
- Lock Jaw
- Muscular Dystrophy
- Atrophy of limbs
- Ankle pain
- Calcaneal spur Etc.
- Intake of dryness, Sheeta, Alpa and Laghu anna
- Excessive sexual indulgence
- Remaining awake at night in excess
- Inappropriate Panchakarma / other therapies
- Excess of Panchakarma therapies
- Excess Raktamokshana treatment or excess bleeding
- Excessive swimming
- Excessive fasting
- Walking for long distance
- Resorting to wayfaring, exercise and other physical activities in excess.
- Depletion of body tissues
- Weakening due to excess stress, grief and worries
- Excessive emaciation because of affliction of diseases
- Sleeping over uncomfortable beds and sitting
- Suppression of natural urges
- Anger, sleep during day time, fear
- Formation of Ama (product of improper digestion and metabolism), suffering from trauma and abstention from food.
- Injuries to Marmas (vital spots) and riding over an elephant, camel, horse or fast moving vehicles, and vehicles.
General Line of Treatment
- Oleation treatment
- Fomentation Therapy
- Oleation and Fomentation Therapies
As a dry wood can be slowly bent, as desired by the application of oily substance and fomentation, similarly even a cured or stiff limb can be slowly brought back to health by the administration of oleation and fomentation therapies.
Fomentation therapy immediately relieves – tingling sensation, pricking pain, ache, contracture, oedema, stiffness, spasticity, etc. Oleation therapy, when administered, instaneously provides nourishment to the emaciated tissue elements. It promotes strength, digestion strength, nourishment, and Vital force.
The patient is given repeated treatment, as a result of which the Visceras in the abdomen and thorax becomes soft and the diseases of Vayu do not get an opportunity to get lodged there permanently.
The patient is given elimination therapy with the help of mild herbs added with oily (unctuous) ingredients.